Do graphics make a game good?

Pgpaw3

One of the main reasons I don't like a lot of games made in the last 5 or so years is the fact that the majority of effort put into games are their graphics. Now I'm only referring to FPS games, not other game genres. This is the main reason you'll never see me play CoD, unless of course it's multiplayer and if people are willing to play with me. :( In my opinion, game play and level design should be priority. These newer games have nice graphics, but the level design is scripted event after scripted event. Example:

1ibx2w.jpg

YAWN. Another thing that bothers me is the fact that a lot of people make judgments about games based entirely on graphics alone. I'll use Duke Nukem Forever as an example, while I don't believe it was a very impressive game, considering it was in development for 12 years, it wasn't nearly as bad as people said it was. After my cousin and I finished the game in less than a day I decided to read reviews and see what people had to say about it. A typical review went something like this:

"It's good to see Duke back, DNF has nice game play and level design, but the graphics weren't up to par. 3/10"

Fuck you. The best graphics aren't a requirement for a good game.

• Like 1

I think there are four obvious categories of games: bad graphics good game, good graphics good game, bad graphics bad game, and good graphics bad game. I think as we progress into better gaming graphics, more people care about the graphics than the gameplay. However, once you look into the gampelay over the years, however, we find that the most memorable and loved games were the ones that either had revolutionary graphics AND great gameplay (star fox, ocarina of time, etc) or just great gameplay (the classic mario games in which they didn't change the graphics drastically enough to be revolutionary, but kept them up to date). These are the games that have the most replayability and notice... each group involves good gameplay (not good graphics). I would argue that great graphics definitely makes a game a lot better, but gameplay is the overall decider. I think as we progress, people will remember the games that had great gameplay rather than the great graphics even though that's what seems most important now.

I would argue that great graphics definitely makes a game a lot better, but gameplay is the overall decider.

I agree with sniper on this one.

One of the main reasons I don't like a lot of games made in the last 5 or so years is the fact that the majority of effort put into games are their graphics. Now I'm only referring to FPS games, not other game genres. This is the main reason you'll never see me play CoD, unless of course it's multiplayer and if people are willing to play with me. :( In my opinion, game play and level design should be priority. These newer games have nice graphics, but the level design is scripted event after scripted event. Example:

1ibx2w.jpg

YAWN. Another thing that bothers me is the fact that a lot of people make judgments about games based entirely on graphics alone. I'll use Duke Nukem Forever as an example, while I don't believe it was a very impressive game, considering it was in development for 12 years, it wasn't nearly as bad as people said it was. After my cousin and I finished the game in less than a day I decided to read reviews and see what people had to say about it. A typical review went something like this:

"It's good to see Duke back, DNF has nice game play and level design, but the graphics weren't up to par. 3/10"

Fuck you. The best graphics aren't a requirement for a good game.

This, seriously, every part of this post.

Graphics alone don't make a game good. Gameplay, Story, THAT'S what makes a game good! Graphics are secondary to Gameplay, but STILL important, just not the main thing that makes a game good, along with music. All parts need to be present for a game to be full; but great gameplay can make up for slightly sub-par graphics ot music.

And while he's only reffering to FPS's, in my experience it goes the same with other games. ex. FF XII: All graphics and cutscenes, I really couldn't get into it and thus never beat it. FF IV: Played the bejeezus out of it and unlocked like everything and pretty much maxed out my dudes. Does it have Uber-grapics? Not really, but it has deep gameplay and a solid story. I played them both around the same time 2 years ago BTW, so it's not a nostalgia thing. X3

Now for an aside...

I like how you defend DNF too; sure it's not COD level graphics wise or like tecnical level wise; but that's because IT'S NOT COD!! Every review I've seen/read compares DNF directly to COD and the other Major FPS Titles. Heres the thing: DNF is 12 YEARS OLD. It was made on older tech and therefore CAN'T compare to the latest games. /DNF Rant :lol:

ITT: GAMEPLAY IS KING! BOW DOWN TO IT! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

How dare people have a preference for the graphics. How dare we have something pretty and shiny to look at while we press the same button/trigger over and over again.

FF IV: Played the bejeezus out of it and unlocked like everything and pretty much maxed out my dudes. Does it have Uber-grapics? Not really, but it has deep gameplay and a solid story. I played them both around the same time 2 years ago BTW, so it's not a nostalgia thing. X3

What's "deep gameplay?" Most of the Final Fantasy game that I've played have had the same format. Go on a quest, get interrupted by battle sequence, take turns choosing attacks, and when you win the battle, upgrade your stats and continue the quest. If it weren't for the story, FF would just be a series of repetion, repetition, repetition.

Graphics matter depending on the genre of the game. Spectacle fighters, racing games, and rhythm games all rely heavily on visual presentation in order to complete the package. Yes, gameplay matters too, but noone wants to look at a game that looks like shit no matter how good it plays.

Which is to say, balance must be maintained.

ITT: GAMEPLAY IS KING! BOW DOWN TO IT! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

How dare people have a preference for the graphics. How dare we have something pretty and shiny to look at while we press the same button/trigger over and over again.

What's "deep gameplay?" Most of the Final Fantasy game that I've played have had the same format. Go on a quest, get interrupted by battle sequence, take turns choosing attacks, and when you win the battle, upgrade your stats and continue the quest. If it weren't for the story, FF would just be a series of repetion, repetition, repetition.

You must not be good at Final Fantasy games then. There's a strategy element involved. For example, FF7 is about materia assortment, strategizing which combinations work the best, and doing sidequests.

• 2 weeks later...

Only if the story is good, but if the game is only about gameplay like a racing game, then graphics certainly affect a game's goodness.

I think the trick is to strike a perfect balance between all aspects of a game. Story, gameplay, music, level design. If one of these aspects is lacking, the entire creative work suffers, if one is focused on too much over the others, the work also suffers.

• 3 weeks later...

In my honest opinion, graphics are a big part of the game, but the game itself is a bigger part of the game.

Graphics don't make the game. Plain and simple. It's gameplay, features and customization that make the game. I'd so much rather have a game with great mechanics, lots of features, and many capabilities for customization, than have a game with horrid gameplay, little features, but awesome graphics. I don't care much for story. Call me a heretic, but I wouldn't mind playing a game with barely any story, so long as that customization, those features, and that good gameplay is there. I like to make up my own story, and do things my way, not the way some computer is telling me to. Then again, that's just me.

There is no one thing alone that makes a game "good." Much like the human body, everything that it's made up of has to be there in good health and functionality (or in this case, quality and functionality). Graphics make a game good, but only if it coincides with the rest of the game's aspects in a working, high quality manner, as does every other major part of a game.

Graphics are merely the icing on the cake. If you have gourmet rasberry frosting on a cake of shit, it is not going to make it taste good. :cool:

Reviewing the topic title, I am going to reaffirm my previous claims.

Do graphics make a game good? YES, they do.

Do JUST graphics make a game good? No, not really.

Question: Have anyone here ever played a game with such amazing visuals that you'd say they alone could justify the price of the whole game? Just as a work of art/eye candy?

I had to do a university module on this, the major aspects of a game are the audio (music, sound effects) Gameplay, and Visual presentation, you can't weight them up against the other as they're all needed to make a good game.

Question: Have anyone here ever played a game with such amazing visuals that you'd say they alone could justify the price of the whole game? Just as a work of art/eye candy?

Okami comes to mind. The game itself was absolutely great anyway, but even just to experience the graphical style I'd say it's worth it. All I did was watch Milky play it and it was great.

Assassin's Creed comes to mind for me. The first game, while not TOTALLY terrible, was worth it for me for the beautiful use of color hues and attention to detail as a historical game that took itself seriously.

Another game would be XIII from the PS2/GCN/Xbox generation. As a game, it was pretty standard fare FPS material, but the retro-80s style art cel shading makes it a treat.

A few Zeldas I've come to love more for their art direction as well. Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess especially.

Reviewing the topic title, I am going to reaffirm my previous claims.

Do graphics make a game good? YES, they do.

Do JUST graphics make a game good? No, not really.

Pretty much simplifies what I said. lol

I do enjoy good graphics, very much so. Especially with car games, like Forza. Has anyone taken a look at Forza 4's graphics? Probably the best I've ever seen. O_o The interiors of those cars are by far superior to any other car game I've played.

• 4 months later...

The graphics make a game really good but what's most important is the gameplay

The graphics make a game really good but what's most important is the gameplay

Be mindful of post dates; it is generally a good idea to avoid posting in threads older than about two months old because of our dredging rules. Thanks for your cooperation. :)

:lock: