My Idea for the Next Game in the Series

mjakob42

Hey all!

First off, I'm new here, so if I'm posting this in the wrong section, please forgive.

Anyway, down to business: since I was about 10 years old, I've always had an idea for a new addition to the Star Fox series. I've been doing work on it ever since (dialogue and writing wise, I'll focus on art & such later), but it's sad to know that I'll probably never get to see it released, so I'm here to share this concept and passion with you fellow SF fans.

CAMPAIGN

It's an alternate sequel to Assault, taking a grittier, darker, and much more story-driven direction with the story. It takes place some years after the events of Assault, and we briefly get to know the lives of our heroes in the opening scene(s):

-Fox and Krystal are (finally) married, but things aren't so great: Fox is beginning to suffer PTSS, and Krystal, although doing her best to maintain a good wife, isn't sure how much she can take.

*Since very recently joining this site, I can see that many have a real distaste in Krystal. I know the marriage is going to tick some of you off, so please forgive me. Though I will say that I thought she was a great addition to the series and I really liked her and Fox as a couple.

-Slippy has started a successful line of auto hobby shops and is doing pretty well for himself.

*I've contemplated adding his girlfriend/wife Amanda and their children in Slippy's part of the story. Haven't come to the conclusion yet.

-Peppy has since retired and lives in a beautiful home in the Corneria Mountains. To keep busy, however, he teaches classes at Corneria University.

-Falco, a notorious G-Zero racer, sits in jail for getting caught in illegal boundaries during a race.

*I didn't put Falco in jail because I hate him (he's probably my favorite in the team). He just has a lot of potential for being a real badass, and the thought of him doing time would increase his level of badassery. I'm even putting some tattoos on him (think Henry Rollins) for more effect.

On the Corneria military front, several threats have been sent to the Corneria government by Venomian radicals - leftovers from the Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64). To prove that they mean business, the Venomians send a large fleet of battleships toward Corneria. General Pepper, alongside newly-appointed second-in-command Colonel Kirk Dax, is put in charge of the operation to counter the Venomians. Immediately they hit the streets and phonebooks to find the whereabouts of the Star Fox team in an effort to reunite them. They are successful, and the team is immediately sent to the fleet to counter it (this is the first mission). After countering, though, Corneria undergoes a surprise ambush from the Venomians.

*If you want to hear more about the story from here, please feel free to ask, though be prepared for spoilers. Also, spot the movie homage in Col. Kirk Dax's name.

GAMEPLAY

The game is going to be much more epic in length. The amount of levels is epic alone (most every planet in the Lylat System will become a battlefield), and each mission has a group of stages (Mission 1, Level 1 - there's the formula). There will be Arwing stages, Landmaster stages, (maybe) a Blue Marine stage, and on-foot stages. The on-foot stages are going to work very much like Gears of War. On top of that, though, there's going to be some strategy involved whilst using your AIPCs, as you can command them to follow, hold position, etc. (think Kane & Lynch: Dead Men). In some missions, you will be given the option to put them on land or air. Other than that, everything is pretty self-explanatory and traditional with a few added features every here-and-there.

MULTIPLAYER

Not much to say here, it will have your typical DM/Team DM/Capture the Flag/etc. competitive play. Players will be able to unlock more characters as they press through the campaign. Online play will be available. What is new, however, is a couple of new multiplayer modes: first off, campaign co-op. 'Nuff said. Next is a Battlefield-esque competitive mode; choose a battlefield, pick a side (Corneria or Venom), pick a class, and combat the enemy. Also 'nuff said.

And that's all I've got to say to give you the basic run-down (I know that's kind of an oxymoron - I'm very wordy as you can tell). Feel free to compliment, feel free to ask whatever you please, and hopefully I'll be able to answer.

Thank you so much for reading!

First of all, :welcome: to the forums :-P. Secondly, this thread, in my opinion, would be better fit in the General StarFox subform, though my judgment could be wrong; you may want to check with one of the mods and see what their opinion on the matter is.

Personally, I am actually warming up to your portrayal of the canon; I do like some of the liberties taken in character personalities, as well as their actions and continuations of prior events. Lengthy levels and/or stages are always welcome, and even the darker & grittier tone, while someone overused, can be a refreshing experience if done right. Thankfully, you've stumbled across one, of the several, members on this site who does enjoy Krystal, not that she adds much to the series though.

[And in the Fox & Krystal section of the campaign area, I believe the technical name is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD.]

Thanks for the warm welcomes! Regarding the reasons why I'm in the fanfic board is because I was anticipating having to go in great detail in the plot synopsis, so I'll probably keep this post in the Fanfic while reposting in the General.

But even more thanks for reading! You have no idea how much it means to me (I have no idea why, but I've grown very attached to this game idea)! And please feel free to throw in any suggestions or ideas! I may not utilize them, but it could always lead to something else!

Thanks for the warm welcomes! Regarding the reasons why I'm in the fanfic board is because I was anticipating having to go in great detail in the plot synopsis, so I'll probably keep this post in the Fanfic while reposting in the General.

But even more thanks for reading! You have no idea how much it means to me (I have no idea why, but I've grown very attached to this game idea)! And please feel free to throw in any suggestions or ideas! I may not utilize them, but it could always lead to something else!

No problem; it was definitely a pleasure reading into potential ways the next game in the series [provided there IS one] will go. And the attachment just comes with pride in an idea, I usually find myself with the same feeling for RP character creation :).

For one suggestion, I'd love to see an improvement in the on-foot sections of Assault; while they were universally destroyed by critics, but I found them to be playable and fun with the "dual-stick" control arrangement. If these segments were overhauled and more variety was added I can see them becoming just as much of a fan-favorite as the Arwing missions. And, though this is a fanboy request, I'd love to hear an explanation on what exactly happened to the Blue Marine from SF64 :P.

No problem; it was definitely a pleasure reading into potential ways the next game in the series [provided there IS one] will go. And the attachment just comes with pride in an idea, I usually find myself with the same feeling for RP character creation :-).

For one suggestion, I'd love to see an improvement in the on-foot sections of Assault; while they were universally destroyed by critics, but I found them to be playable and fun with the "dual-stick" control arrangement. If these segments were overhauled and more variety was added I can see them becoming just as much of a fan-favorite as the Arwing missions. And, though this is a fanboy request, I'd love to hear an explanation on what exactly happened to the Blue Marine from SF64 :-P.

I too loved the on-foot stages (controls felt a bit slippery, but that was the only problem I had). If there was anything that I couldn't stand in Assault, it was controlling the Landmaster (I would also say I hated the absurdly short length of the game, but then I played Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days).

As for the disappearance of the Blue Marine, I couldn't tell you why. I just thought it would add to the variety of my game.

Maybe the Blue Marine got scrapped because Slippy couldn't fathom the idea of not being able to breathe underwater, so he didn't put too much work in the Blue Marine project (after all, he is an amphibian).

Hey that's all right :D

Anyway, welcome to the forums! We hope you enjoy your stay at SF-O :)

:welcome: to SF-O mjakob42! k_e_smile.gif

Awesome ideas you have here! Definitley a game I'd play.

I like how you've expanded all of the characters and the canon in logical ways, and it's great to see someone else who enjoyed the Assualt on-foot gameplay.

Also, I too am a Krystal fan (obviously k_e_animesweat.gif)

:welcome: to SF-O mjakob42! k_e_smile.gif

Awesome ideas you have here! Definitley a game I'd play.

I like how you've expanded all of the characters and the canon in logical ways, and it's great to see someone else who enjoyed the Assualt on-foot gameplay.

Also, I too am a Krystal fan (obviously k_e_animesweat.gif)

Hey, thanks for reading! Good to know that I'm not the only one who thought Assault was relatively underrated (although it definitely could have been improved).

And I forgot to bring up a few things in my original description, so I'll bring those up now while this topic is still being read.

Regarding the campaign, I'm going to throw in some sort of message to the player/audience. Don't worry, I'm not going all Disney on you guys, but I was playing some SF the other day and I realized that Star Fox seems to do work only for Corneria. Why is this? During the fight with Wolf (the player will fight the Star Wolf team as a whole, then fight them individually on-foot), I thought it would be cool for Wolf to give Fox an epiphany ("Do you realize, Fox, that you and your team have become the most expendable pawn for the Cornerian government? When was the last time they sent their own troops to take care of a situation? They'd rather fork over a few bucks than sacrifice their own boys.").

So the game is going to have and underlined message: live how you want to live; don't let others control you (cliche, I know, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to add a little moral value. Just as long as it's not cheesily executed)

-New Star Wolf member: Valkyrie, a female Husky (might change the breed later). I have two reasons why I'm adding a new Star Wolf member.

1) The first time the player fights Star Wolf, I want it to be 4 on 4 like in Star Fox 64, just for balance, y'know?

2) For a potential plot twist...won't give anything, unless you're that intrigued (and if so, message me and I'll message you back)

And that's all I can think of later, but I'll probably bring up more later. Thoughts?

Sounds great dude!

I actually really like that idea about Wolf giving Fox that epiphany. In fact, that exact quote you used is Perfect!

And it's a great message as well, no to mention like the perfect set-up to tell it.

I also definitley agree with the addition of Valkyrie, for balance and another unique character. But, you should keep her a Husky, as Huskies RULE! k_e_cool.gif

Sounds great dude!

I actually really like that idea about Wolf giving Fox that epiphany. In fact, that exact quote you used is Perfect!

And it's a great message as well, no to mention like the perfect set-up to tell it.

I also definitley agree with the addition of Valkyrie, for balance and another unique character. But, you should keep her a Husky, as Huskies RULE! k_e_cool.gif

Honestly, the idea for a Husky came from watching too many videos of Mishka, the Talking Dog, but I'll probably keep it a Husky =D

Important thing about Valkyrie, though: very quiet and kept to herself - little to nothing is known about her (like I said, all for a plot twist I have in mind)

Dude..this idea is fantastic.

Thanks for reading! Love the support and praise!

More that was once forgotten to bring up in my previous posts...

So, Star Fox players have never, ever, gotten a detailed history of the Lylat System, who Andross was and how he came to power, how the Star Fox team banded,, etc. (I know there's been lots of speculations, but the games have never really gone in detail). In the main menu of the game there will be an option to go to the Cinematics Room, where players can watch cinematics from the game. There will be an option to watch clips of a "documentary" that discusses all of what has never been said in detail previously in the series. Like I said, though; these are optional to watch. They're not absolutely required to understand what's going on in the game, but they're there to give the extra detail.

*The idea for this came from Metal Gear Solid where you can watch the briefing tapes that explain who the enemy is, some background info, etc.

It sounds great so far mjakob42. I just have a few questions/ suggestions.

Do you think that making Valkyrie a husky might make her look too much like a wolf? Maybe, maybe not, just something to think about.

Also, who will be the main bad guy? Is it the Venomian radicals, or is it the corrupt/ entitled Corerian government/ military establishment?

I really like the Wolf epiphany. This all looks like a great start.

GAMEPLAY

(maybe) a Blue Marine stage,

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Also: hi!

It sounds great so far mjakob42. I just have a few questions/ suggestions.

Do you think that making Valkyrie a husky might make her look too much like a wolf? Maybe, maybe not, just something to think about.

Also, who will be the main bad guy? Is it the Venomian radicals, or is it the corrupt/ entitled Corerian government/ military establishment?

I really like the Wolf epiphany. This all looks like a great start.

Regarding the husky thing, I did think about that, but I'm always thinking about other breeds. She was a character I came up with only a couple of months ago, so I'm still working out details. Though if I did decide on a husky, her fur would be much more white than Wolf's.

Regarding the main villain, it is the Venomians, but to go more in-depth, I can't say anything without spoiling some key plot elements. Though I will say that a lot of attention is directed toward a character with the alias "Astray", a supposed Venomian informant who uses a voice distorter whilst engaged in conversation (kind of like "L" from Death Note).

Although there will be a confrontation between Fox and Pepper (no guns or anything, just a discussion - this will take place near the end of the game), I don't want the Cornerians coming off as the enemy, but I thought it would be a good way to play off the game's message. After all, Fox is just trying to live as peaceful a life with Krystal as possible...then that gets interrupted by Pepper and Dax.

If you really want to know details, feel free to message me, but I'll feel bad for spoiling some key plot elements.

Thanks for reading!

*Please forgive me for the anime reference.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Also: hi!

Ohhai, scourgeclaw!

Didn't like the Blue Marine stage in 64? Trust me when I say that I'll try and better it in this game!

Have no fear!

Ohhai, scourgeclaw!

Didn't like the Blue Marine stage in 64? Trust me when I say that I'll try and better it in this game!

Have no fear!

THE ATROCITY THAT IS THAT LEVEL BURNS EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING!!

*tears*

THE ATROCITY THAT IS THAT LEVEL BURNS EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING!!

*tears*

Honestly, I've had a potential idea for the Aquas mission in my game:

First off, I guess I should tell you a little about the mission - a Venomian sub is discovered sitting in the oceans of Aquas. Some rather scary weaponry was rumored to be onboard. Star Fox is sent in to take down the sub.

It's a 2-part mission - part 1 is on the way to the sub and part 2 is inside the sub.

I'm for the most part favoring the Blue Marine as a mini-submarine, but the back of my imagination says to make it a Speedboat or something like that. I haven't been doing too much thinking on the Aquas stage though, so apologies for minimal detail.

Apologies for the double-post.

UPDATE:

Now the more I think about it, maybe the Blue Marine should be changed to a speedboat.

It all has to do with coop; there has to be at least two players in a level (in coop, Player 1 controls Fox and Player 2 controls Krystal), and if the Blue Marine was a sub, there would be only one player (it would be weird having two Blue Marines).

So, in the level, Fox will be on the Blue Marine (now a speedboat, let me remind you) while the others control Arwings.

It all has to do with coop; there has to be at least two players in a level (in coop, Player 1 controls Fox and Player 2 controls Krystal)

Shouldn't the player have a choice in who they want to play as?

Shouldn't the player have a choice in who they want to play as?

I have thought about that before prior to reading your comment, but now that you bring that up, I should change my plan. The one issue is that not every level is going to have all four team members fighting together at the same time, and in the opening CG (when the team is called to duty), Fox and Krystal make a promise to always be by each other's side during battle, so they're always going to be in the same level, so I thought it would be easier to just do P1 Fox/P2 Krystal.

My main focuses right now have been level design and script, so I haven't put too much thought into how coop is going to work (P1 Fox/P2 Krystal was my initial plan), but as time progresses I'll put more focus on the coop aspects - it's all just a matter of time.

Are you actually going to make a fan based game? or is this just brainstorming for what nintendos next game should be?

Rember, keep the gameplay somewhat simple. I feel sometimes if it is too complicated ( like assault or command) the game quality can go down.

Are you actually going to make a fan based game? or is this just brainstorming for what nintendos next game should be?

Rember, keep the gameplay somewhat simple. I feel sometimes if it is too complicated ( like assault or command) the game quality can go down.

It's kind of both, but more along the lines of brainstorming. When I said level design, I meant I'm just drawing the maps of the levels on sheets of paper and by script I meant writing the "screenplay", if you will, for the CG scenes (I don't know a thing about programming :lol: ), though I'd love to see the idea go so far to become an actual game (I'd do most anything to see it go that far).

And I totally agree with you on gameplay; I personally don't feel it's getting too complicated - sure, there's a bit of variety, but get past all the different vehicles and such and it becomes a bit simple from there.

Really quickly, I'm going back to the co-op issue - now that I think about it even more (like I said; my plan is still undecided) I don't think P1 Fox/P2 Krystal is too big a deal, because looking at other co-op action games (namely Gears of War and Kane & Lynch 1&2) they did the same thing and they were great (well, GoW was, people were mixed about Kane & Lynch - I thought they were great).